Monday, March 28, 2011

The Constitution, and all the Rest


The Constitution Hierarchy


States of Constitution


Example of state Constitutional Hierarchy


Now you're probably wondering what the? Since when does this constitute a blog (haha no pun intended). But I have been thinking a lot about all this politics stuff and realised I don't really know the hierarchy of it all. How people go where, who's who? I've been sort of confused when I hear people talk about House of Representatives and Sentates and Legislative power, blah, blah, blah. And you're probably thinking, why the hell are you doing a politics subject if you don't know this? Well I guess I am like most people, we see all the media and the elecitons and we do the voting, and just assume we know everything, because let's face it how could we not. But I am going to be honest, this course has opened my eyes away from my very limited views on the subject.

And after going to my politics class and sitting there going, what the? I decided I needed to educate myself pretty quickly, so with the help of Nick's Constitutional Law expertises I have finally figured out the Hierarchy.

So let me break it down for you:

There's the Constitution, der.

Underneath there's legislative, exectutive and judical power.

Let's start with legislative, now it holds all the people responsible for putting through new legislation. So like Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott and all federal members(house of representatives), and the senate so basically the people who keep the house of reps in check.

Now the executive is basically well lets make it easy, the governor-general of australia Quentin Brice. (or an older rep the Queen) Ta da. The executive power also includes the highest ministry chairmen, prime minster etc.

Then there's Judical - which is basically your jugdes, and they interperate the legislation into laws.


By now you know as much as I do, which sad to say is not much. But this basic view of the Constitution and the Parliament helped me understand the debate dicussion today, which was on whether or not we should up date the Constitution to display current laws and legislation as well as updated rights of Aboriginals and women. I think it's safe to say that I think the Constitution should be updated.


I know, could this post be any more boring. But when I was discussing this with both Nick and my tutor, I found it interesting, and I wanted to write about it. I will be sure to write more interesting topics soon.


Anyways I cannot think what more to write on this subject. Ciao!


P.s. Please forgive my painting skills - the diagrams are grade three stage. :p





No comments:

Post a Comment