Monday, March 7, 2011

A Better Way to Live

Has officially started Uni. And I couldn't be more excited. Did all of my lectures yesterday. Two of which I enjoyed immensely. One of which bored me to tears - Contemporary Australian Politics. I know what you are thinking, yep, even the name is a taken from a sign in Boresville. The level of boring was given an added exasperated sigh by just looking at the lecturer; a distinguished, grey-haired older man looked to be in his 50's with a slight lisp every time he got excited about something, which almost seemed to be everything.

The topics were seeing as they related to current themes, but in no means gave us anything to jump for joy about. It's not hard to know what is going on in today's politics as the politicans are doing such a bang up job that they are making the news every night. And not in a, we-solved-something way, in a we're-a-bunch-of-morons-who-act-like-children-and-dont-really-know-how-together-to-achieve-one-goal way. But alas this was the topic of the hour, as well as poles, parties, the pendulum and statistics such as the party mapping and the census results. I know from what it sounds, that it can't be that boring if I managed to remember everything that was said the next day. Truth be told that I already knew the topics and are therefore not needing a refresher course anyways but alas got one.

I think the reason why it seemed to that aspect of well boredom was the fact that the guy was ancient. And I don't mean appearance, I mean in reality. It felt like he was almost so afraid of technology that if he could he would've whipped out a chalk board with actual chalk.
No power point, only over head projectors with lots of flattering pictures of all the current politicans. No lecture notes online to study and no recordings. But all in all he still got some little laughs out of me. Kill me :p


The rest of the day was fascinating. Just absorbing so much information that you fear you'll forget the moment the slide is not in front of your face anymore. So many faces. I had about 200 people in my psych lecture and probably close to the same in my sociology one too.
In soc, we watched a tv series called Breaking Bad. Quite interesting. About a very nice man, doing to the good thing in life getting handed a raw deal. Been told he has cancer but not enough health insurance to cover it. And so he basically becomes a meth maker and distributor to provide for his family. Society's way of saying I am going to fuck with your life so you eventually become the scum of the universe, hope cancer treats you well. I pitied the man, regardless of the fact that it was fictional drama. You see people in life, including yourself and you think, why me? Why do these things only happen to me? There's a spoiled brat who gets everything handed to her and things just come so easy to her. She'll live to be rich model etc. And I'll struggle my way through college to only earn a little bit more than her. Is it worth it? Who knows. But the series just got me thinking about that kind of stuff. How one person can receive so much and deserve it, and how another can work hard his whole life and to just get screwed by society who favour the privileged.

As you are aware, Uni has sparked a light in me that I thought I'd forgotten. I love to study, to be filled with knowledge, to be passionate about something. Today I am hoping to join the Environment club. A discussion yesterday with Nick got me thinking.
Finally I am excited by something that I can achieve, and I have never felt better.

No comments:

Post a Comment